1 cup Slippery Elm powder
1/2 cup honey
(optional) 1-2 drops essential oil
Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Combine powder with honey, using one spoonful at a time, to make a firm, but not dry, dough. You may not need the full ½ cup, or you may need a little more, depending on the honey.
- Once the dough is formed, add a drop of essential oil -peppermint, orange, ginger or lemongrass are very nice options for this recipe.
- Lightly dust a cutting board with additional slippery elm, to prevent sticking, and roll out your dough like a snake (two or three ‘snakes’ may be easier, depending on how much dough you’ve made).
- Cut into small sections – roughly fingernail size and roll into balls. Flatten these onto a baking tray and pop into the oven for around an hour.
- Once cooled, keep your dusty little lozenges in an airtight container out of direct sunlight.
These will keep for 6 – 8 weeks in the cupboard.
The lozenges can be sucked or chewed whenever you experience heartburn symptoms. Begin with one, but you can have up to three or four if needed. Symptom relief is usually very quick, often within minutes, but may be longer.
Be sure you’re drinking plenty of water and add another glass for each 1-2 lozenges, to avoid constipation (they are very high fibre).